Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Frankenfood

A-ha, gotcha! You thought it was going to be some sort of rant about genetically modified food, right? Wrong. There's another kind of Frankenfood in my world: a combination of a couple recipes and some extra PITA vegan flair to make it come ALIVE...ALIVE! Don't get me wrong, all individual components of this delicious monster are fine on their own; however, when working together as a team they are scary AMAZING. I'm talking about "Puttin on the Ritz" kind of awesome.

Several posts ago, I wrote about having an in-home bake sale to absorb incidental expenses at Vida Vegan Con. It was a great time and I plan on doing it again around the holidays. I'm thinking I might like to donate the money to a charity.

The belle of the ball was the banana split muffins. I pulled this off by taking the lower fat banana muffin recipe from Veganomicon. After they were done baking and had cooled for 15 minutes, I took a clean thumb and poked holes in the middle.

From there I filled each hole with a strawberry pineapple topping made of fresh strawberries, fresh pineapple, corn starch, and agave nectar. I kept stirring it on med. heat until it looked like pie filling.

Once the filled muffins cooled completely, I filled a sandwich bag with the chocolate frosting recipe from Ricki's whoopie pies on xgfx.org. I'm so in love with that frosting. I would never think to use sweet potatoes as a base for frosting! I lovingly placed dollops of the frosting on each muffin, and crowned them with two walnut pieces and a fresh cherry. Yay!

The best part was no one flavor dominated the other. It was a perfect medley of banana, chocolate, and tart strawberry/pineapple/cherry. This muffin was a fine tuned engine. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet it is a little better for you than a fried doughnut.



There's no "I" in team!

Do you like the new look of PITA Vegan? Great. That's your next hint for my Vegan MOFO theme. Just to clarify, there aren't any votes for my one million hit goal. You just need to tell people to tell people to shout it from the roof tops to visit my site every day in October. Multiple times, even if you think my food is gross-which it so ain't.



5 comments:

Tami said...

The remake looks great! You know I'll be following you!

Nikki said...

I love your banana cupcake re-mix! I'll be following your MoFo. Looking forward to the unveiling of your theme. This year is my first MoFo. Fun!

mollyjade said...

Your theme is food made from lace, isn't it?

jessy said...

hiya, Jen - just wanted to pop by and let ya know i'm dig'n all of your yummy looking frankenfoods! i have yet to try Ricki's whoopie pies and the frosting sounds awesome - thanks for the xgfx shout out, too. :) i wouldn't have thought to use sweet taters as a frosting base either. Ricki's brilliant like that. also - i cannot wait for MoFo! squeeeeeeeeeeee!

Erin said...

Banana splits muffins sound amazing! Look nice too.