Thursday, September 29, 2011

Look, it's spaghetti.

Ah, one of the cheapest meals to make no matter if your omni or vegan--spaghetti. Kind of unexciting, I know. Until I smell the garlic, onions, and peppers sauteing in the olive oil, and then I just start to feel classy. I add the tomato sauce and paste***magic wand flourish*** it's a nice filling dish, especially when paired with a green veggie.

Aside from my use of smart ground and spaghetti noodles, the sauce was made from scratch. Tomatoes from my garden were cooked down into paste and sauce. Basil-(garden), garlic, onions, peppers-(garden) joined the free-for-all in my stock pot. Yes it took some time, but there was some satisfaction in eating something I made from stuff I grew all by mahself.

I normally don't use commercial vegan crumbles. When they're on sale, I do use them just because it's easy and I have lazy tendencies like everyone else. The crumbles could have easily been subbed with some cooked white beans or lentils, or better yet-- plain veggies are awesome. No shame in simplicity.

The Parmesan? It's super simple, really. No, really--you don't have to spend $7 on a friggin' container of sprinkle cheese substitute. Eat something real! I use 1/3 c. nutritional yeast, 1/2 t. garlic powder, 1/4 c oat flour, 1/2 t. salt, and some oregano. Mix it together and you have vegan parm. Store that in a tupperware container and use it for other stuff. That makes pesto siiiiiing.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Yummy! I haven't made spaghetti in far too long! I should fix that.