Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'm not always testing sandwiches...

Sometimes I'm just making them for me. This was part of last week's haul from the food bank: roasted garlic bread with ingredients I recognized, West Soy Thai Peanut Tofu, sauteed red peppers and onions served with a side of oven baked snap beans-(my new favorite way of eating them!)

I didn't get a close up of the beans largely because I was bummed that the purple ones didn't keep their color and ended up looking like the green ones. As I ate them I'm pretty sure Joe Dirt popped out of the bushes and said, "Daaaaang!" because they were so darned tasty. Since that brand of prepared tofu isn't really peanutty-(barely detectable), I made a schmear with a little extra peanut butter, garlic, and mae ploi chile sauce.

To make the oven baked snap beans is, well--um, er it's a snap!

preheat oven to 400

Wash and snap ends off beans.
Juice of 1/2 lemon, 2T olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
Rub lemon juice, oil, and seasonings into beans and spread evenly on a cookie sheet-(spray!) cook for 7-8 minutes on one side, flip, and cook for another 5-7 minutes. These are great on their own, but if you have to have a condiment to dip them in go ahead.

9 more days until MOFO! Are you ready?

4 comments:

Allysia said...

Nope, not ready for MoFo at all - gonna wing it, you know, do it off the cuff or whatever they say.

I would gladly test and eat sandwiches every day. That sounds pretty much perfect. :)

And oven-baking snap beans is a groovy idea, I'd never thought of that before. Oh how I long to be back in my own kitchen to play!!

Tami said...

That's my fave way to do beans, too! And just this week I had the same experience with purple ones. I know they change color.. but every time I keep hoping.

What a sandwich!!!

mollyjade said...

That's always disappointing when the purple veggies lose their color when you cook them. Green vegetables get brighter, why can't purple?

Erin said...

Oven baked peas sound awesome! An no, I'm not ready for MoFo at all. Got some work to do this weekend.