Friday, September 30, 2011

Are you ready for True Grub?




Are you ready for this?

I'm an excited kind of gal myself. I don't recall a holiday that involved food or gifts where I didn't whine so bad that my parents caved and gave me a little treat before the big day. So that's what Momma Jen has for you: a little pre-MOFO celebration of sorts.

As you know this year's theme is True Grub: I Wanna Chew Good Things With You. I'm hopelessly in love with the premium cable show True Blood, adore Alan Ball, and am plowing my way through the actual books by Charlaine Harris. What's this show, you say? It's another television drama with vampires, except the cast is way hotter and there's tons of sex. And vampires. Did I mention there were vampires?

There's an entire thread dedicated to the show in the Living Room of The Post Punk Kitchen. Isa mentioned that someone should do a True Blood Blog. I took the muse and ran like Sam Merlotte himself when he's doing his post-shape shifter streaking thing.

Pray tell, what signature dish will don Miss Sookie's name? Did I get ballsy enough to make a Hunter's Pie? I dunno, but I did make a vegan goat tongue and giggled the whole time I made Alcide's Comeback Sauce.

And what noshling shall be named after King of the Bill? I don't want to give everything away, so you're going to have to tune in EVERY SINGLE DAY in OCTOBER for Vegan Mofo. Tell your friends about it too, so you can help me meet my 1 MILLION HIT GOAL by the end of the month. I'm giving the FoodBuzz money to two local charities.

And now, I'll leave you with a recipe I made about a month ago:


Lafayette's Red Velvet Brownie Bites

1/2 c EB OR 5 T of canola oil-(NOTE-I don't always have EB around the house. If you go this route, note they'll be a bit crunchier on the outside, but very soft n' chewy on the inside.)

1 1/2 c. beet sugar
1 t vanilla
2T flax seed meal+ 6T warm water, set aside
1 1/4 AP flour
1/4 t. salt
3T cocoa powder. The better the powder, the better the bite.
1 1/2 T red food coloring
1/2 c. melted chocolate chips

First things first, get some nice music going and put those chips on a double boiler. Take the vanilla, sugar, flax seed eggs, oil and mix. Mix in the food coloring. It will look very creepy.

Take your dry ingredients: flour, salt, and cocoa and sift. There's nothing worse than biting into something with cocoa lumps in it. Sift it! I'm watching you.

Preheat the oven for three fiddy, and get a mini cupcake pan out lined with papers. Mix the wet with the dry. Now add that melted chocolate. It will be super thick. Spray a measured tablespoon with canola oil and put measured T scoops in each mini muffin liner. Don't over fill! Set the timer for 10 minutes and check on them with a tooth pick. Set the timer for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean. Dollop the top with your favorite cream cheese icing. NOTE-don't freak out if they're a little hard on the outside, they're nice chewy, n' fudgy on the inside.

I have not tried this, but I double dog dare you to make the brownie bites Brujo Brownie Bites in honor of Lafayette's boyfriend, Jesus. To do this add 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t cayenne pepper, and a pinch of clove powder. I know I'm doing this next time. I'm also going to play around and see if I can go old school and make red velvet without red food coloring.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! I don't watch the series regularly, but I have read all of Charlaine Harris's books. I'm looking forward to a month of Sookie-inspired cookin'.

Tami said...

Oh my...you did LaFayette proud!

Lizzie Bordello said...

I love your theme and excited to see what you come up with over the month. I'm just a bit worried as I haven't seen any of season three yet (don't have TV and haven't bought the DVDs yet), so I have to watch out for spoilers!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I LOVE this theme!!!!

ZuckerBaby said...

I adore this theme. Adore. I'm way behind on True Blood and it doesn't even matter because lookit all the fuds!!

Anonymous said...

So whats the high school end Owl Gifts, you'll run to keep the personalization forgetful and to the point. A fiddling something for job, and are Cracking gifts for girlfriends. Homemade GiftsOne of the Topper homemade gifts a flash, personalized child romper can present that personality off flashy and clear.

My blog post; owl bathroom decor