Friday, September 2, 2011

Crushes, cooking demos, and BBQ: VVC report #4

This entry is full of information overload and I'm not going to apologize. This is from the cooking demonstration at Whole Foods with Joni Newman and Kelly Peloza. The demo was an Indian Style BBQ with seitan koftas w/tahini dipping sauce, curried cole slaw, and rosewater lemonade cupcakes. Wowza. I'm not just saying that because I think Joni or Kelly is reading this, the food was good. So tasty, I'm serving this menu for our upcoming Labor Day picinic.

Vida Vegan Con reminded just how sexy vegans are. I was knee deep in Hotville, population 200+. Crushed out all weekend gawking at vegan superstars and a few cuties I had never met in person. I was so dumbfounded by all the beauty, I neglected to take many photos. The energy wasn't just coming from the outside, people really oozed some genuine positive goodness from within that I really cherished. I was able to break down on day#2 and really cry the good tears of gratitude, and cried a little more on my way home.

Each time I talked to someone I felt like Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing, specifically when she said she "carried a watermelon." Blush. Blush. Blush. I think I did a pretty good job playing it cool. I'm sure some of The Big Names get oohed and aahed over all the time and wanted some space. I really dug how a few people came up to me and talked to me like they had known me all my life and was my BFF. Shucks!


Left to right: Louzilla, yours truly, THE Laura from Vegansaurus!, and Kelly Cookiepants Peloza. Kelly makes the cutest dresses.
Cupcakes! They were melt in your mouth good. Tasted like a bite of sunshine. Who needs bling-bling like a grill when you can just have one of these?
Curried coleslaw is my new favorite side! Pssst, there are currants in that stuff.
Seitan really does beat your meat: koftas that will transport you to your favorite beach.
I was so moved by everyone's testimonials of soy curls, I bought two pounds worth at Whole Foods. This will last me for many meals, and I have some mad plans for them including the soy curl dust at the bottom of the bag. I carried this gaggle of curls around like it was my own child, and some teased me. That's okay, I named the bag "Curly." Pictured with Curly is Joanna of Yellow Rose Recipes. She is also adorable.
Let's talk some crunk: Bianca is more gorgeous in person than any photo you will ever see of her. Those eyes are a tall drink of somethin'-somethin', ain't they? Guess what else? She doesn't speak with a Southern accent. I teased her about this, I know that's kind of ignorant. She told me it comes out when she gets really drunk. I never got to see that.
Meeting new friends was just one of the many bonuses of PDX. On the right is Kelly from kohlrabiandquince. She's lovely, has a calming presence, and loves Fraggles. She was my roomie on Sunday night at the PDX Super 8-( a great bargain and awesome customer service!) and my dinner-(the bye and bye)/doughnut date. She told me to try a chick-o-stick doughnut at Voodoo, and well--I'm hooked. I'm going to try to replicate some of that shop's craziness right here in Indiana. I'm hoping we stay in touch.


Coming up next: my VVC video diary!

5 comments:

joanna said...

i spent most of the weekend trying not exclaim: "HUBBA HUBBA" at every super cute vegan i saw.

i'm so glad that we got to meet!

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to meet you (this time!), but LOVED watching you dance!!!

Nicola said...

I'm green with envy at reading everyone's vvc trip reports!

Sounds like you had a really wonderful time, and curried coleslaw, can't believe I've never thought of that. Definitely having some with my dinner tonight!

x

Allysia said...

Oooh, I missed the food demos, not sure how that happened. Love your roundups, they're hilarious and are making me miss Portland (and the people)!

Miss Lynzie said...

I met you super briefly at the Bye and Bye, and regret not getting a chance to talk more. I'm LOVING your blog. Cheers!