Thursday, October 20, 2011

MOFO Day#20 True Grub: Alcide's Comeback Sauce (Sweet Version)


Let me preface this by saying I know you're at your computer snickering about the idea of "comeback" sauce, and might not even know what it is. I have a 14 year old boy in my brain too, so I'm not bothered. You should read the interesting history of this Southern condiment. I came across it researching Mississippi cuisine, and that was the first suggestion. Funny, huh? I was sure it would have been peanut butter and banana sandwiches courtesy of Elvis.


If you're really smart, you'll know this photo is just a shot of the red pepper cream sauce from the other day. Every food blogger has their moment, I guess. This is also what the original batch of Alcide's Comeback Sauce looked like when I first made it. Oh Alcide, and his awesome sauce. ((((giggling)))))

Then I tasted it. Ew. Alcide's sauce was not what I expected. Back to the drawing board.

There are three kinds of condiment people: dill pickle people, sweet pickle people, and those weirdos that like both. I think Alcide is a Sookie Sauce fan, so I'm SOL. I'm a dilly fer sure, and I think the reason this recipe bothered me was because it was a sweeter condiment. So if you're a sweet pickle or bread n' butter pickle fan, this should be right up your alley.

Alcide's Comeback Sauce

  • 1.5 c. white beans
  • 1/2 c. olive oil, set aside
  • 1/4 c. fig infused vinegar (Alessi brand)
  • 1/4 c. ketchup
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1.5 t. horseradish
  • 1/2 t. cayenne
  • 1/2 c. salted cashews
  • 1 GIGANTIC clove of garlic or two smaller cloves
  • 3 dash of white pepper
  • 1 t. worc. sauce (Kroger brand is vegan)
  • 2 t. Bragg's liquid aminos


Mix everything together in a blender, minus the olive oil. Drizzle that in last. Store in fridge or this can be frozen.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Hahaha! How have I missed all this mofo awesomeness all month?! What a great idea!!! True Grub. I have some catching up to do, for sure. Not a huge Alcide fan, but I do love Sam and Tommy. :-)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I'm definitely a dill girl. Right there with you.