Saturday, October 8, 2011

MOFO Day #8 True Grub: G. Fairy Waffles with Light Fruit Syrup

I know these waffles look awfully plain, but I assure you the flavor is not. Sookie's Fairy Godmother, Claudine was trying to perfect her recipe for these lemon-chamomile waffles before she became a supernatural juice box.

The flavors are subtle, so please try to play around if you please. This recipe is gluten free; however, you can make it with AP flour if that's how you roll. At this point, I have so many friends with a gluten intolerance, they could easily populate a magical fairy island.
Lemon Chamomile Waffles w/ Light Fruit Syrup

Waffles:

Dry Mix
  • 1 1/4 c. sorghum flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t xanthan gum
Wet Mix
1/4 c. lemon juice
2T lemon zest
1T Earth balance
1 c. vegan buttermilk or cultured soy/almond/rice/coconut milk
3T agave
1/2 c really strong chamomile tea
1/2 t vanilla

Light Fruit Syrup
2 c. of your choice of stone fruit (pluot, peaches, plums, apricots, etc.) and pear puree. I think I used 1c. stone fruit and 1c. of pears.

3T brown sugar

bring sugar and fruit to a rolling boil and cool.

Mix wet and dry into a nice batter. Make waffles according to your machine's instructions. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven if you're going to wait a while.

3 comments:

B.A.D. said...

This sounds super fancy.

Luciana said...

Even though, I loved Claudine in the books, I thought her demise on the show was hilarious. These sound delicious!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fantastic recipe. 'Chamomile' was the narrative hook for me (well that and 'waffles'). I think chamomile is an oft overlooked ingredient. It shouldn't be; it has a great, albeit subtle taste.

I plan to try these soon; thanks for sharing the recipe!