Monday, October 3, 2011

MOFO Day #3 True Grub: Gram's Ham & Beans


I miss both my Grammies. I didn't know either of them very well, so I have no idea whether or not they could cook. I think so. Sookie misses her Gram too. They never mentioned it on the show, but Gram is a vegan and her signature dish is ham n' beans. So listen up y'all, make ya some and don't give your heart to Eric.

Gram's Ham n' Beans- (goes excellent with the Veganomicon corn bread recipe!)
  • 1T canola oil
  • 1.5 c. frozen or fresh swiss chard, chopped-(really, any green will do)
  • 1T Earth Balance
  • 3/4 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. Sam's Shape Shifter Ham, chopped into little cubes
  • 2.5 cups of cooked white beans-(I triple dog dare you to try this with butter beans!)
  • 2 t. Louisiana Hot Sauce
  • dashes of black pepper
  • salt to taste
Heat your oil and saute the onion and greens. In a smaller skillet, melt the EB and cook the crap outta that ham, y'hear? Once the onions and greens are cooked, add the beans, hot sauce, and salt/pepper. Throw that ham in last, give it a couple turns, and serve immediately.

5 comments:

coldandsleepy said...

That looks so tasty. I want someone (possibly a Gram?) to feed that to me for brunch at a diner when I'm hungover.

x said...

Yes please, I'd love some with corn bread or toast

A frame of mind said...

ooooh i made cornbread tonight and agree ham n beans would be super dank with it. nice!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Oh poor, sweet Gram! <3

Erin said...

You can't get much better than ham, beans and greens. Looks delicious!