Thursday, February 12, 2009

on-the-fly stir fry

this meal wasn't as good as it looked. i scored the veggies and noodles at the food bank. i sauteed the veggies and noodles in some hot sesame oil, sweet chili sauce, and a splash of bragg's. it was okay, but a little too carrot intensive for my tastes. i had never had yellow carrots before.

i'm bummed that i can't replicate that type of stir fry flavor that can only be experienced by getting food at an actual chinese restaurant, or having your own personal chef. the veggie pot stickers-(vegan, brand name was Ling-Ling) were a freezer purge item. they tasted like freezer burn-- i should have thrown those away, but i didn't because i hate wasting food.

now about those noodles: they are called tofu shirataki noodles and are made by house foods america. this is a good noodle for those who can't have gluten. it was a nice change of pace from rice. they reminded me of ramen noodles. they come in a refrigerated package. i suggest draining and lightly rinsing the noodles before eating because i thought they smelled weird. don't worry, i checked the package and it hadn't expired. i think these would be really awesome in a vegan egg less drop or hot n' sour soup. i'll have to try that next time.

7 comments:

Tami said...

Ugh...I'm sorry it wasn't better. It really looks good though!

Anonymous said...

I love those noodles! I've got to get me some more...

Bianca said...

Yep, those noodles smell really funky before they're cooked! I've noticed that too. But interestingly, the nastiness goes away after cooking. I really like them!

I'm the same way about freezer burn. I keep stuff in the freezer way too long...and then can't bring myself to toss it when I know I should.

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the potstickers. Whomp, whomp. Oh well, at least it looks really pretty :)

miss v said...

i'm sure if you keep trying, you'll be able to get that take-out taste. it took me a couple times on all my recipes... but now i'm pretty happy with homemade chinese.

and that's weird about the yellow carrots - i always think they taste less carrot-y than orange ones. crazy.

Leslie Richman said...

I like those shirataki noodles. I also tried kelp noodles, which were odd to me, but I'm giving them another try in a raw pad thai soon.

Mari said...

I tried shirataki noodles and thought they were NASTY! They were all the rage last year cause of the no calorie thing.

But I bought a new package recently and will try again. I hate it when there's a food I don't like and shirataki isn't originally a diet food; just an ethnic food.

I'm pretty sure I boiled them twice last time in water and soy sauce.