Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ode to "Meatballs": I give you The Tripper

When I made this concoction, I just didn't care. Really. I was ravenously hungry, the kids were whining about something, and I just wanted everyone to shut up and eat. I wasn't thinking about the classic 1979 wonder known as"Meatballs" with Bill Murray. No way. If you don't know about this epic summer camp comedy classic, shame on you.

As I ate this, I kept hearing the words from his motivational speech to Camp North Star run laps in my brain, and I thought--he's right. It just doesn't matter.

I guess my point is, one doesn't have to have mad fancypants culinary skills at every single meal. You can be a perfectly happy vegan throwing a bunch of shit together and slapping it on some bread. Omni's do it all the time. It is how magical sammies are made, really.

I'm calling this one "The Tripper" after Bill Murray's character in the movie. You take some wheatballs from RR's Vegan On The Cheap, brown them in a skillet with a little brags n' vegan worc. sauce and set aside. Toast a cibatta roll or slices of cibatta bread and slather it with a sauce made of 1/3 vegan parm, 2/3 vegan mayo, black pepper, two cloves of garlic, and some Ms. Dash. I'm pretty sure I used chard on this one, but spinach, arugula, or any kind of leaf lettuce will make this work because it just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. It just doesn't...

No comments: