Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Move over Nabisco

I know a name like "Whole Wheat Fig Bars" sounds kind of anti-climatic, but give a cookie a chance. I made these from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, largely because I had a jar of fig pieces sitting on my shelf that begged to be used. I'm a chocolate freak, so I was kind of skeptical.

Lordy-lordy I've been saved by another cookie. Don't be thinkin' this is a healthy cookie because there's a 1/2 cup of oil in there, but you don't have to tell your friends. Don't try to go makin' it low fat or fat free to see what will happen, either. Isa knows her stuff. Just go with it. Watch 'em go "Wow! These are so much better than those....um, what are those other fig cookies called? Nevermind." Perfect for the upcoming holidays (((wink-wink))). Everyone knows Santa and Chanukkah Harry are partial to figs.

I made these for chalice circle at church and they were gone before the candle was even lit! I iced them with just a whisper of orange vanilla frosting. (((whispering))) Just a whisper.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

I never liked Fig Newtons as a kid, but for some reason, I sort of crave them now. I've eyeballed this recipe a few times. It's high time I make it. Except, I'll be needing some figs.