Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A new twist on peanut butter and bacon

Did Elvis really eat peanut butter and bacon sandwiches? I have no idea. Must be one of those urban legends, like pop rocks and soda. This sandwich is not the stuff of fairy tales, this is something I thought about all day long while I sold garden products at work. I kept thinking, what am I going to do with that Thai Sesame Peanut flavored tofu by West Soy and with that eggplant in the fridge?

I took a trip back to 2009 and looked at the concoction I threw together for eggplant bacon. I upped it a notch by marinating, baking, then pan frying in a little oil. I put it on top of some of the said Thai Peanut tofu, put a little arugula on some bread along with onion, beannaise-(from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook), and the obligatory pickle. It was awesome! I decided I'd call it the ElviSteen McNoyes after The King, Celine, and Tami. I just can't test sandwiches for people all Summer and try to think that I can walk away from it all without a little inspiration.

Since daylight savings time has arrived, I can't take pictures outside like I used to. My solution has been to take them directly under the stove light. I'm known for bringin' the funny rather than my photo skills, but I think the results are better than flash, don't you?

4 comments:

Gabriel said...

FYI - Elvis ate fried peanut butter & banana sandwiches, I've never heard of a PB & bacon sandwich.

Susan G said...

As a kid, i always loved peanut butter and Baco's on an English muffin. Never thought back then about Baco's being vegan!

Tami said...

That is so awesome! It's an honor to have been a small part of the inspiration behind it.

I grew on blt's (minus the tomato + peanut butter) and I know I'd love this. That 'bacon' especially.

Erin said...

Eggplant bacon and peanut tofu sounds like an amazing combo!