Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Curry Me On

EVERYONE and their mother has this dish in their veggie/vegan menu rotation: chickpeas, tomatoes, and potatoes. Some are curried, some are cuminized. Is cuminized even a word? Hell no, but that don't stop me, now does it?

Here's my version I like to call, "Curry Me On". It's not actually curried at all, this has nitter kibbeh and berebere spice in it.

You'll need:

  • 3 large potatoes, chopped
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can tomato soup
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 can water (from tomato soup can)

  • 1/4 t. ginger
  • 1/4 t. cardamom
  • 3 cubes berebere spice* ( I used recipe from Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian)
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 3 heaping T's of nitter kibbeh* (I used recipe from Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian)
  • couple splashes of Bragg's liquid aminos

Saute red onion in nitter kibbeh, then add the berebere cubes until melted. Add your coconut milk, water, tomatoes, tomato soup, and chickpeas. Then add the potatoes. Bring to a rollin' boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender. This is more of a wintery dish, but I made it today because that was what I had on hand for a meal. It is very comforting.

No comments: