Saturday, July 7, 2012

It's all I Can Stomach

Here we have a very simple vegan breakfast of tempeh bacon and french toast. Here's the link to my tried and true recipe.


This is a food blog, first and foremost. I've been writing here since 2008 sharing my journey of veganism with you all and showing how it can be fun and a way to truly transform how one connects with food. Veganism has helped me overcome my eating disorder, made me a shit ton of friends and followers, and has just made my overall life better. I try to avoid a bunch of personal stories about my kids, cat, and love for all things True Blood. I want to keep That PITA Vegan about the food.

But that doesn't stop life from being life. Sometimes shit happens. Shit like depression, a pending divorce, and happy crappy like that.

In the past year I've gone through a lot of changes, one being a proposed move back to MI. Well, this didn't work out. I'm getting some help for some things that a vegan lifestyle just can't help and without going into too much detail of my personal life I am asking my dedicated readers to please send me positive vibes and be patient with me while I blog to the best of my ability.

Here's the major problem: I've lost my appetite. Like I don't want to eat much of anything. I haven't wanted to cook, and have lost my joy of many things food. This is troubling to me, but instead of dissecting why I feel this way, I've just simply embraced a philosophy of keeping things a little simple and doing the best I can. What one resists, does persist as they all say in the field of psychology.

Still vegan. No slips or trips. Just don't want to eat. So I'm back to the drawing board, recognizing the red flags, and going to get some extra help. I've been eating a lot of cereal and smoothies. So my posts won't be anything extraordinary for a while. Not that my blog was ever anything amazing, it will just be a little less intense than it usually has. Truth be told, I haven't been my jovial blogging self for a while. I want to get my mojo back before MOFO this year, because I have a really cool theme I'm wanting to do.

So again, be patient, be kind. Send me good vibes.

xo, Jen

Jen's keep-it-simple-stupid tempeh bacon marinade:

  • Ketchup
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Steak Sauce-(check brands for veganness)
  • Bragg's liquid aminos

I just eyeballed everything and whisked together. Cut your tempeh into 1/8 inch thick strips and let it soak in the marinade overnight. I pan fry mine with a little bit of nonstick spray, but you could get a nice crisp by frying in oil. This isn't your typical tempeh bacon, it's just a nice savory marinade that isn't smoky or garlicky. The tempeh from this makes great BLTs.


5 comments:

grrr said...

Best of good vibes coming your way - going through a hard time and not wanting to eat much myself, so I'm full of sympathy and respect for your courage to write this post. Things WILL get better. Sending good thoughts in the meantime.

The FI Witch said...

*hugs* Also remember, it's ass-hot outside. Try eating fresh fruits and veggies and have something light during the heat of the day, and don't be afraid to eat copious amounts of watermelon(hydrating and nutritious).

Right now, I'm more of a produce junkie, and there's nothing wrong with that- and since I understand you have struggled with an eating disorder, it makes me a little concerned. If you must, smoothies(blueberries, banana and soymilk)is a pretty good breakfast.

Barbecued tofu(prepared in advance then chilled), shredded zucchini, sliced tomato and some shredded lettuce in a pita, those are really good for lunch/dinner.

I'm one of those people whom has ALWAYS felt the urge to eat on both work breaks and my lunch, now my afternoon break, I am not hungry at all, so you're not alone in the lack of eating desire.

Best of luck and feel free to message me!

Allysia said...

Take care of yourself, Jen! Sending you tons of good vibes!

mollyjade said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry things are such a struggle lately. I'm thinking of you.

Glo said...

Jen, I'm sorry to hear that life is throwing you a curve ball. Take a deep breath and know that you have people wishing you the best. As the other comments have stated, eat something - doesn't have to be a full on meal (fruit, veggies and smoothies are def better than nothing.) Take care of yourself. HUGS!