Friday, February 17, 2012

Hot Dog!

So I was craving vegan hot dog nachos, sue me. This was largely inspired by watching many episodes of Chopped and my love for Btown's local eatery, The Naughty Dog. NOTE: if you click on the link, you will see meat.

I love this place because it is a) cheap and b) THEY OFFER A VEGAN CHILI DOG! How awesome is that? Sure, I could make one at home while listening to The Pod and it probably would taste better, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to make lazy food. So there. I got your no porkroll-no-egg-no-cheese right the eff here, baby.

If you're thinking, ugh--that's just gross! Or perhaps you are curious and worried about calorie content, vegan hot dog nachos won't ruin your caloric day you big ol' weirdo, you. If you are obsessed about that sort of thing, I estimate it is around 600 calories, less if you only have one wiener--(hey now, they list a serving as "1 Wiener" so get your mind out of the gutter.) Here's the breakdown:

  • 2 vegan hotdogs @ 50 cal=100
  • 1 serving corn chips (that's 6-7 chips, kids)=130
  • 1/3 c. vegan chili=120
  • 1/4 avocado sliced thin= 70 cal
  • diablo sauce= 120
If you don't care about calories, add more chips or whatever. I personally wanted the chili dogs to dominate the dish, not the chips--I just needed some crispy-crispy if you know what I mean.

diablo sauce ingredients:
1T veganaise
1 t nutritional yeast
1/2 t white miso
Frank's red hot to taste

I can see Ted Allen saying, "Chefs you have one minute left!" as I effortlessly plate this amazing little ditty. Secret basket ingredients are vegan hot dogs, corn chips, miso, and nutritional yeast. Of course, I'm thinking chili. Of course I'm thinking nachos. Duh. Scott Conant is secretly jealous but chooses to diss this dish, and Alex G. proposes to me after eating. Yeah, that's how it would go. Screw that 10 grand.

4 comments:

SoundsLikeCanada said...

Ugh. Yum. Every time I visit Bloomington, all I want to do is eat. Now I have to add this place to my list. My mom and my aunt thought about opening a hot dog restaurant in Bloomington. The prospective name: "Chicks with Wieners." The slogan: "You can't beat our meat." Sadly, it never happened.

Bianca said...

Oh. My. God. Hot dog nachos are the new diablo dog. Count me in.

Mary said...

Your post made me hungry for Naughty Dog's so we went there last night. I had a New York dog and it was pretty good (sour kraut and mustard on a dirty dog (hot dog blackened on the grill). I had only had vegan hot dogs from Krogers and they tasted plastic-ey so this was a real treat. When making your own, is there a certain brand to look for?

Jen said...

I go for Yve's smart dogs.