i've seen a number of these food interview thingies floating around, and it takes me back to the days of tiger beat magazine. since i don't have any food pics with me today, i figured i'd just use this as my lazy blog entry... so here's your vegan TB interview with me!
1. Name a song that involves food in some way. duh, eat it by weird al yankovic!
2. What criteria do you use when choosing a new cookbook to buy? a) do i have enough money to buy this, b) does it have recipes i'll actually use?, and c) are there any food porn pics?
3. What did you eat today? miki's pumpkin bread, decaf with silk creamer, and some soy yogurt. i'm feeling under the weather and not in my nom-centric mode.
4. Name a vegan food that you know exists but you have never tried: kim chee
5. The Food Network just called and needs you to start your new show tomorrow. What will the title of the show be? eat like you give a damn, inspired by a teeshirt sold by herbivore magazine.
6. Favorite hot sauce or other spicy condiment? frank's red hot and maggi sweet chili sauce. i eat it on damn near everything.
7. How old were you when you became vegetarian/vegan? this is a complicated answer- i was exposed to vegetarianism at 16 but didn't adhere to a vegetarian diet until i was 21. i was on the dairy/omni go-round until 27 when i tried being vegan the first time for the wrong reasons. back on the dairy-go-round/omni wagon until four months ago. i was inspired to re-examine veganism based on my very cool vegetarian boss and her copy of veg news. i'm currently 35.
8. Favorite vegan cheeze? i never thought i'd ever catch myself saying this, but i'm not interested in cheese very much anymore. if i have to have it it's tofutti cream cheese or the cheez sauce recipe from veganomicon. follow your heart is okay, but i just don't think melty vegan cheese that tastes good can be replicated.
9. Cutest baby animal? this question isn't even fair. i can't pick one--all baby animals are cute!
10. Favorite type of jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves? grape
11. Do you take any vitamins/supplements? i'm a nursing mom, and i take a prenatal vitamins and other medicines that i'm sure aren't vegan. i know this would make me not a "good" vegan-(or even vegan at all) in the eyes of the Vegan Police, but i haven't transitioned that part of my life into veganism yet.
12. What food/dish most embodies the Fall season? squash or chili
13. What food would you have a hard time living without? chocolate and other sweets
14. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate? a decaf mocha sans whipped cream
15. It's 10PM and you're starving. What do you eat? whatever baked good i've made that week or have a glass of soy milk.
16. If you have an animal companion, what is his/her favorite food? i have 3 petz: clairisse the cat is 15 and very picky, and engages in what i call "stunt eating"-(eats non-edibles like used Q-tips YUK) if we don't feed her at the exact time she's hungry, maury bernstein is our other cat and lives exclusively outdoors and likes to eat baby animals (making sad face) , and ladymutt the hoople our doggie will eat just about anything you give her, but has a preference for peanut butter.
17. Worst injury you've gotten in the kitchen? i nearly cut the top of my thumb off because i was mad while dicing something. this happened back in 2001.
18. When you have a food-related question, who do you call? no one, i just make shit up.
19. Summer is ending- What food will you miss most? heirloom tomatoes to make salsa
20. What snacks do you keep in your purse/backpack/desk at work? it depends. i usually always have kroger valu-brand chocolate chips to feed my cheap vegan choco fix.
21. Favorite soup to make on a rainy day? chili-my omni husband makes the best vegan chili.
22. What's your favorite combination of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juices? i'm more of a smoothie person and i like the TDs Peachy from soma coffeehouse. we're really poor, so getting that is kind of a luxury thing.
23. Favorite brand of root beer? gale's root beer it has vanilla and ginger in it!
24. what is the first vegan thing you baked? miki's pumpkin bread (from random hag). it was awesome.
25. (make up your own question) do you think malicious gossip about others is vegan?