anyway, here's the second MOFO survey:
1. If you have to choose between locally grown or organic, which do you usually choose?
most of the time, locally grown=organic. we usually get what we can afford. i score some amazing shit at the food pantry.
2. Favorite way to prepare potatoes:
a few months ago, i would have said "fries", but today i liked baked potatoes.
3. Do you press your tofu before preparing/cooking it (if you eat soy)?
yes. i don't own a tofu press, so i sandwich it between 2 big plates and place a big ol' heavy can of veggies or my aerobic weights on top and let it sit for a while, drain, and repeat until it's nice and dry.
4. Name your favorite recipe that is a tradition in your family:
my family tradition is alcoholism, so i didn't really have a favorite recipe growing up. my mom cooked with the following foods: hamburger, government cheese, SPAM, and veggies came from a can. i do get frequent hankerings for mashed potatoes with the skins on them.
i thought i was allergic to peanuts and tree nuts because of outbreaks of canker sores that i'd get in my mouth when i ate any products with said nuts in them. i was tested by an allergist and i'm not allergic, but she said i'm "intolerant", like people who are lactose intolerant. when i found that out i went on a week long peanut butter binge! i paid the price with a party of sores on my gums and one on the back of my throat. so looooong answer to short question.
6. When you want to go to a fancy dinner, where do you go?
i've only been to a couple 'fancy' places in my life. the most memorable was the blue nile ethiopian restaurant in detroit, mi. that ws the most amazing culinary experience i've ever had.
7. When you have a cold, what do you crave?
mashed potatoes, oatmeal, and in my pregan days hot n' sour soup.
8. What kind of water do you drink? (Filtered, spring, tap, etc.)
from the toilet. JK-cold tap water or tap filtered. i'm sure my ovaries are radioactive.
9. Name a flavor of soda you'd love to see:
i'm sure it exists but if they made a mexican chocolate soda, that would rock!
10. If the recipes you ate as a child were compiled into a cookbook, what would the title be?
SPAM-(Some Parts Are Meat) A Collection of Trailer Trash Favorites by Judy Fish
11. If you were allowed to grow one food that can't grow in your climate, what would it be?
12. Favorite type of mushroom?
i like portobellos and morels-although i haven't had a morel in years.
13. Most frustrating part of your kitchen?
no counter space!
14. Last food you burned?
fronch toast i made this last weekend.
15. Usual response to a veg*n's favorite question, "But where do you get your protein?":
i actually don't get this question. i just get the typical "i couldn't go vegan because i'd miss cheese and eggs too much..." comment in which i reply, "well, a vegan diet isn't for everyone." because it isn't. there are always going to be some people who don't get it. it makes me a little sad.
16. If you were baking your own birthday cake today, what flavor would it be?
17. Favorite brand of chocolate chips?
if money isn't an issue, tropical source. but we're broke and we get kroger valu-brand which is totally vegan.
18. You have $200 of your tax return reserved for Williams Sonoma- What do you buy?
who the fuck is williams sonoma? is he related to lillian vernon?
19. Do you plan your menus in advance? Any tips to share?
kind of. i write comments on recipes that i use with a grading system on how it rated with the family. i try not to repeat stuff and make use with what we have around the house or what we've scored at the food bank.
20. You have 3 minutes before you have to leave the house and you're starving- What do you eat?
i'll grab food in bar or smoothie form or have a glass of soy milk. i'm a grazer.
21. If Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray got into a fight, who would win?
i think paula deen would kill the two with her heart attack inducing cuisine, chop them up, dredge them in egg, fry them in butter, and then die from choking.
22. If you eat oatmeal, what do you add to it before serving?
turbinado, a pat of EB, and silk creamer
23. If you got to travel to one country and learn all the traditional dishes there, where would you go (ignore commitments in your current place of residence)?
24. Favorite late night snack?
25. Favorite springtime food?
matzos-not because they're my favorite per se, it's just the food i associate with spring because of passover.
26. Favorite food-related magazine?
i don't subscribe to food magazines. i've read an issue or two of martha stewarts living mag and i enjoy the challenge of veganizing some of the food i see in there.
27. Which do you prefer: shoyu, tamari, conventional soy sauce, or Bragg's Aminos?
i love bragg's. patricia kind of creeps me out with her evangelical bible health philosophy.
28. What vegetable or fruit do you dislike the most?
beets are NASTY. so is okra.
29. Name a holiday food you look forward to all year long:
30. If you could convert anyone to veganism with your magic wand, who would you convert?
my spouse, because i love him and want him to be around for a long time. i think switching to a vegan diet would improve his health.