Monday, August 17, 2009

who said the what about the what?


i think one of my fellow bloggers was talkin' about how it was summertime and the bloggin' ain't easy. true dat. readers, i'm getting bigger, more uncomfortable, the weather is stanky hot, and i don't feel much like cookin'. i will do my best to post as much as i can, but be prepared to see some pretty unfancy eats-(aka more sammiches and schmears than you can shake a stick at) and more product reviews. i'm so dang exhausted.

this is a picture from a few weeks ago when our friend beff came to visit us. i made us all a nice shabbos dinner of tofu scramble with kale and carrots, roasted potatoes, and a gravy made with portabello mushrooms and walnuts. like traditional jewbacca family fare, the gravy was made on the fly and i don't have an official recipe, but i will tell you what was in it:

  • sauteed onions, about 1 cup of portabellos, and a cup of walnuts in a mixture of 2T of olive oil and 1T of EB
  • added 1 c soy milk once onions were clearing up in the sauce pan
  • 2T ww flour
  • some pepper
  • some salt

i put everything in the blender and it made a nice super thick gravy. i transferred it back to the pan and added bits of water to thin it out. again, sorry for no recipe. just think of a vegan "mock chopped liver" recipe thinned out with some extra pepper and you have the gravy. the mushrooms juxtaposed with the walnuts gave it a nice rich flavor.

7 comments:

nora said...

I agree about the summer blogging. My problem is that there's so much going on though (including cooking) that blogging it all is exhausting!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Scrambled tofu is such an awesome go to meal. It will happily use up all of your leftovers and make them taste delicious. Great photo and thanks for the recipe!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I haven't been inspired to cook much lately either and it's not even that hot over here!

Leslie Richman said...

Agreed. It's August in Louisiana and I barely have the energy to open a can...

Leslie Richman said...

And yep, I'm a writer. I had a really good run with getting erotica and personal essays published in the last few years. I have been so busy that I haven't written much lately, but I am working on getting back in the habit :)

Bianca said...

Vegan chopped liver! On gravy, I still need to try your happy gravy recipe!

I actually love the hot weather, and I'm still using the oven and everything. But I'm crazy. I keep my thermostat around 80 degrees inside the house because I'm a freak.

Debra said...

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.