Monday, August 31, 2009

muh-muh-muh-my granola (sung to the tune of "my sharona" by the knack)


Ooh my little pretty bowl, pretty bowl.
Do you have fruit and nuts in you, granola?
Ooh you make my tummy full, my tummy full.
I'll eat you with some soy milk or yo-gurt, granola
Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a hungry girl. Always get it up for flavor of the
oaty kind. My my my i yi woo! M M M My Granola...

yeah, i know. i'm a huge cheez puff. anyway, one of my major vegan disappointments is trying to find a vegan granola on the market that i don't have to take a second mortgage on my house to purchase. no such luck really. the average price for 8-10 oz of vegan granola is anywhere between $5 and $10. sorry, the only way i'd pay that much for a package of granola is if i knew i'd get a prize in the bag, like one of those foam capsules that would turn into a real live sarah kramer or isa chandra clone if you added water to it. a sarah or isa clone wouldn't be bad to have around the house, y'know?

as usual, i took matters into my own hands. i went online and looked for an easy vegan granola recipe-(from vegweb.com) and i found one that i tweaked to reflect what i had on hand. please observe:

muh-muh-muh-my granola:

1 c. raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 c. pecans, finely chopped
3 c. quick oats
1/4 c. ww flour
1/2 c "brown" sugar-(turbinado+1t molasses)
5 T veg oil
1/2 t salt
1T vanilla
3-4 T agave nectar
1t cinnamon
1/2 c dried cranberries

preheat oven to three-fiddy. in a skillet containing no oil or liquid toast seeds and nuts on low heat until you smell a pleasant nutty flavor. combine seeds/nuts with remaining ingredients except for dried fruit. spread the mixture onto 2 cookie sheets and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden, turning the mixture frequently with a spatula or wooden spoon. remove from oven and leave granola on pan while cooling. add dried fruit to granola and stir to combine. store in an air tight container.

my mistake: cooking for a full 20 minutes. i should have paid attention to the "until golden" part. some of it got a little charred, but it was still very good granola. mr. jewy liked it and i can't wait to make it again.

got a favorite granola combo? discuss.

4 comments:

HeyitsBeth said...

When you say three-fiddy, is that the same amount required to give a Loch-Ness monster?

Leslie Richman said...

I have never tried making granola before...I'm not very brave like that.

Bianca said...

I still haven't tried making my own! I keep meaning to, but I always buy mine from my buddy Uele...who makes the best vegan granola on the planet (but it is expensive, too...I feel better spending more on it though cause the money goes straight to her).

I wish I could make your vegan brunch party in Bloomington! Seriously...I don't go on many road trips (besides drives to Nashville or Little Rock), but next time I plan to drive north, I'm stopping at your house. Really.

miss v said...

it cracks me up - i always know what song you are singing your blog titles to (and i can't help but sing them in my head). :)