Friday, June 19, 2009

product review fridays: amy's tofu scramble (in a pocket)


jim gaffigan said it best when he talks about food in pocket form:
and many prepared food companies both vegetarian and omnivorous have designed an edible form designed to be nuked in a micro sleeve and all of them pretty much taste like crap wrapped in greasy toast. then i saw this in the freezer section of kroger on sale. i figured, hey--my review for product feature friday!
because i have an extensive pregan history eating food in pocket, bar, and shake form--i wasn't expecting anything great, and i'm glad i wasn't. this wasn't awful, but i wouldn't suggest getting it unless it was in the super-duper-discount bin for a nickel a piece. the scramble is mediocre at best and the bread pocket that surrounds it isn't flaky or crusty at all. it probably would have tasted better had i deep fried it or baked it in a conventional oven. but my rationale is this: if i had time to use either one of those methods, i surely would have made something else to eat. meal in a pocket type foods were exclusively designed to cook in the micro and burn my taste buds. i managed to save mine this time, thank g-d or i would have been even sadder after ingesting said product.
while the small sammich packs an 11g of protein, it has less than one gram of fiber-BOO! bottom line: stay away from this product. make your own tofu scramble, wrap it in some pizza dough or your own home made pie crust, and freeze for later baking. some convenience foods just aren't worth the time.
you are better off eating one of her other vegan options: brown rice and vegetables. then again, you can make that at home kids.
tout le weekend!

9 comments:

Eddie G said...

Thanks for the heads-up ;)

The Voracious Vegan said...

Thanks for the warning! Glad you shared your thoughts with us.

Jenn said...

Scramble in pizza dough? Now you're talkin'. I lean towards tortillas for instant gratification, but I think you're really onto something with the breakfast scramble calzone. I'm off to make some dough...

Jenn said...

I wasn't kidding...http://vegandance.blogspot.com/2009/06/dude-its-hot-pocket.html

My hot pocket was awesome! Thanks for the idea.

Gina said...

That kind of sucks. Not for me, but my brother recently became a vegetarian and said the only thing he really misses are Hot Pockets (these were one of his major food groups). Crunchy on the outside, cold in the middle, how could that possibly be....yummy?

Sophia said...

I've had my on that in the freezer section for awhile now, glad to know its not worth a try!

Binx said...

Well this just goes to show the power of personal opinion: I actually like it fine. Now, I would never buy it to bring home for lunch, but I have had them for a meal at work, and they're not bad. That being said, I generally stay away from convenience foods and 9/10 times I brown bag my lunch for work. So if you don't have time to make your own version (which I guess would take about 3 hours, including dough-rise time) and you genuinely need something convenient, than this might be fine for you. :)

JenniferH said...

It wasn't flaky or crisp because you made it in the microwave. Heat it up in the oven, and it's delicious. I actually like it a lot for a high-protein, low-cal (180) breakfast.

Anonymous said...

off white
hermes birkin
supreme clothing
off white
giannis shoes
supreme outlet
off white outlet
supreme shirt
bape
bape