Friday, June 26, 2009

product review friday: amy's samosa wrap

you'd think after my misadventure with amy's products last week, i'd steer clear from any food in pocket form. well, you're wrong--because technically this ain't a pocket. the package says "wrap", but it's just a burrito. a better-than-average burrito loaded with some tasty indian spiced potatoes, peas, and tofu. and it's vegan!

so yes, amy--you've redeemed yourself. i'll give this baby only one turntable and a microphone. it's not totally awesome, but hits the spot if you don't have the time or cash for indian food. the price is middle of the road-(i think we paid $1.80 for it at kroger's), which is definitely cheap compared to a restaurant.

it lacks the crispy crunchy shell of a true deep fried samosa, but i think that could be remedied by brushing the exterior with some oil or melted EB prior to baking-(i didn't do this). this would probably rock with some mango chutney, but i didn't have that either. yes, you'll have to take the time to bake this wrap. microwaving it will more than likely give you a soggy shell. i wrapped mine in foil, and put it in the toaster oven at 400 for 35-40 minutes, and it was cooked perfectly. yes--that does take time, but i was at work and had the time. i ate mine with some spiced quinoa topped with some curried spinach. sorry i don't have pictures of that.

happy weekend!

10 comments:

Bianca said...

I love these! I'm really lazy though when it comes to prepared foods, so I always microwave them...but I'm down with soggy, so....

BTW, if you haven't seen it yet, Susan V over at Fat-Free Vegan made a homemade version of these Amy's wraps on her blog the other day. I printed out the recipe and intend to make them soon.

Eddie G said...

That looks pretty good right about now...maybe with an iced chai!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I like those samosa wraps. I was kinda pleasantly surprised. Dammit. Now I want samosas.

Tami said...

I'll be watching for what gets 2 turntables and 3 microphones so I can buy it right away!

I really like these reviews. Thanks for doing them.

miss v said...

hmm... i would definitely miss the crunchiness, but at least it's warm and filling! and who doesn't love indian food?

Anonymous said...

Nice call! Mmmmm...I want some Indian food now!

Valerie Goes Vegan said...

I found this while googling the samosa wrap while eating it for lunch! I wanted to see if other people love it as much as I do.

That said, I did microwave mine, and it was delicious. It wasn't a bad kind of soggy... I'd call it "tender," maybe? I will pop it in the toaster oven to crisp it afterward next time just to see what it's like, but it's really perfectly acceptable when microwaved!

Unknown said...

Love this wrap! ...but I usually don't have time to bake them, so I always microwave and have never ended up with a soggy tortilla. Even after microwaving, Amy's somehow gets it right.

Unknown said...

I'm so frustrated! Found these, fell in love with them and can no longer find them at HEB or at Central Market. (Haven't checked whole foods out yet.) ... :(

Unknown said...

replica louis vuitton bags b18 v0t53t9h44 replica bags q38 c2r00x5w54 replica bags buy online b55 u8v37r8a31