Monday, September 7, 2009

harvest time!

well, considering that i've been pregnant most of the year, i think my punk rock garden turned out okay. i didn't invest much energy into it, and by not much i mean hardly at all. in indiana it was an unseasonably cool and wet summer. i believe i broke even. pictured above are cherokee purple tomatoes, orange tomatoes, garden peaches-(they're the small round yellow ones that taste kind of like a tomato peach hybrid) and a ton of yellow pear tomatoes. my first batch of green peppers were okay, but the second crop that have come in have been awfully gnarly-(and not in a good way). i lost my cabbage to loopers and i made the mistake of sewing lettuce seeds near my tomatoes--they require different nutrients. oops. on a positive note, i've made 4 batches of raw salsa in the past couple of weeks, and very little has gone to waste.

here's the aforementioned salsa and on top of a glorious mountain of my southwest scramble. hash browns topped with the amazing cheez sauce from the previous post.

jen's southwest scramble

  • 1 package firm tofu in a carton
  • 1/3 c. nooch
  • 2T yellow mustard
  • 1/4 c. corn
  • 1/4 c. black beans
  • 2T chopped pimentoes
  • 1/2 t cumin
  • 1/2 ground coriander
  • 1/2 turmeric
  • 1/4 c. chopped onion
  • 1 clove of minced garlic-(more if you want, i tend to not be garlic-centric this pregnancy)
  • dashes of bragg's
  • dashes of frank's red hot

saute garlic and onion in a T or two of your favorite oil. make sure your tofu is pressed well. i press mine between two plates with a 5 lb hand weight on top, dumping the water every 10 minutes. if you're pressed for time-(pun intended) you can gently squeeze with your hands, but make sure that tofu has most of the water out of it. it really makes a difference with the scramble.

with some clean hands, mush it well in a bowl-(to the consistency of ricotta cheese) and add all the other ingredients. place in the frying pan with the onions and garlic and cook over med. heat. i like to cook mine for a while until it gets a little brown and crispy. top with fresh salsa and serve with some home fries.

upcoming posts: i've been crunkin' it up in the kitchen for bianca. i'll have not one, not two, but three posts dedicated to her recipes this week!


Girl on Raw said...

This looks wayyy delicious!!! :)

Bianca said...

You've got me craving tofu scramble now...I think I wanna try topping some with that cheezy sauce recipe! I dug out my Uncheese Cookbook last night to make tofu cream cheeze and started drooling over all the recipes in there that I haven't made yet.

The garden haul sounds fab to me! I can't ever manage to get anything to grow, so I'm very impressed.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That scramble sounds fantabulous.