Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Paul Reuben


mecha lecha hi, mecha yummy ho!

feast your eyes on that one, won'tcha? look, the reuben has been done 1,000 times over until the tofu cows have come home to play yahtzee. everyone says, "my reuben is the best!" everyone also says, "look how cute/smart/funny my kid is!" we know the truth: this reuben is the best and my kids are the cutest/smartest/funniest.

what separates this one from the others is a) i named it after paul reubens-(one of my favorite jews of all time) and b) the use of the tofurky cranberry n' stuffing slices. in place of the ol' swiss cheez thing, i used avocado slices. i was inspired by melissa "the unicoroner" r. one of my favorite derby athletes. she told me that avocados and sauerkraut were a match made in heaven. she's right.

The Paul Reuben (note my use of caps. i'm serious!)

in a non stick pan, grill your tofurky slices until slightly crispy and brown. now throw that sauerkraut in there too! toast your bread and coat each side generously with vegan mayo. pile on the tofurky, kraut, avocado, onion, ketchup, and pickles. make sure to have your jaw surgically removed prior to eating. netflix pee-wee's big adventure while yer at it. pat your belly when done and wipe your mouth on the sleeve of your shirt. this sandwich goes great with a ginger ale or root beer.

No comments: