Tuesday, October 19, 2010

spillin' the beans

spill the beans. beans, beans the magical fruit. hill o' beans. she doesn't know beans about babies. the list goes on and on--i am unapologetic about my love for beans-(wouldn't it be sad if a vegan didn't love them?) and would happily marry them if i could. it would be kinda weird eating my spouse, though. for more about my love affair with beans, PLEASE click here to listen to one of my favorite songs about this power food!
after having my second child, my friend alicia brought me some BBQ black beans. they were so good, i licked the plate clean-no joke. this recipe is fast, simple, perfect anytime of the year, and will make your mouth (and butt) sing a happy tune:

southbound suarez magical black BBQ black beans-( i made that up myself)

* NOTE- alicia says this dish is served with chorizo, but i'm sure you can buy sorizo and it would taste great. i personally like it as is. let the beans shine through.

3c black beans
1c chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, via garlic press
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. molasses
1/4 c. mustard
2T brown sugar-( i actually omitted this because i thought there was enough sugar in the molasses and ketchup)
1/2 t. ginger
2T Worcestershire sauce (kroger brand is vegan)
1T Frank's red hot
2 jalapenos (i used the pickled kind, chopped) fresh would probably be better.

saute garlic, onion, jalapeno in some oil until onions sweat. add beans and everything else. simmer for about 15 minutes. serve over rice. pairs well with greens. sliced avocado would make this baby really sing.

3 comments:

Vinnie said...

So would you say you're full of beans?

miss v said...

it's like a twisted up bean and rice combo. i agree about the sugar - i think this sounds good savory.

aren't bulk beans the bestest?

Anonymous said...

My sister won't eat beans and I always think she doesn't know what she's missing!

I love a big plate of beans and rice. Mmm MMM!!!!