- preheat oven to 350. shown above: get some eggplant, slice it long ways thin and grill it. i cheated and used some frozen grilled eggplant that i scored from the food pantry. i've done this from scratch as well, it's just more time consuming doing it that way. after you grill the eggplant, line a pre-oiled spring form pan or round deep casserole dish allowing the pieces to droop over like flower petals. reserve a few of the uglier grilled pieces to cover the very top, shown in step #4.
3. put the filling on top of the eggplant. don't over fill it, or you won't be able to do the next step.
4. take those drooping petals and fold them in like you're folding a sweater. the package should be tight and neat. use the ugly grilled pieces on top if you have bits of the innards poking out.
5. i baked mine for about 30 minutes. let it sit for about 5-8 mins outta the oven. to present, put a plate on top of the spring form pan and turn it upside down, like you would a pineapple upside down cake. garnish with basil if you're feeling fancy.
6. here's the finished product. the challenge i have is keeping the pieces intact when serving. it usually looks like a blob. i garnished the piece with some marinara sauce. it was mighty effin' tasty, if you ask me. even my non-eggplant eatin' spouse ate this.