Monday, October 5, 2009

follow your heart is jerkin' my heart around--a tale of woe. vegan MOFO day#6

i saw it on the shelf at my local co-op and thought: could it be true, a vegan bleu cheese dressing? wow! it really is! it's from the makers of veganaise, so it must be vegan! my heart crumbled into little pieces as i read the ingredients:

Ingredients

Vegenaise* (Soybean Oil*, Filtered Water, Brown Rice Syrup*, Apple Cider Vinegar*, Soy Protein*, Sea Salt, Mustard Flour* Lemon Juice Concentrate*), Filtered Water, Fresh Cultured Buttermilk*, Bleu Cheese* (Pasteurized Milk*, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Microbial Enzymes, Penicillium Roqueforti), Vinegar*, Sour Cream* (Cultured Non-Fat Milk* and Cream*, Microbial Enzymes, Live Active Cultures: L. acidophilus & B. bifidus), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Garlic*, Xanthan Gum, Onion*, Black Pepper*, Mustard Flour*, Chives*, Spices*. *Denotes Organic Ingredients

yes, kids--it was too good to be true. thank the tofu gods that i read the label before buying it in a state of blissful delirium. oh follow your heart brand--how could you be so cruel? i guess i'm just an idiot for believing that the company only makes stuff for us vegans.

tell me about your biggest vegan disappointment, that item that you banked on being in the clear and it so wasn't. you don't have to even admit you ate it-(although we've all been there!). just discuss the sad.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the heck!? Stuff like this galls me a little - surely it's in the companies best interest to make something that vegans and lactose intolerant people can enjoy, especially since the dressing isn't even dairy based! It's so silly! As for my own vegan disappointments, I am seriously miffed that Green and Blacks started putting milk powder in their dark chocolate bars. Why fix what isn't broken? :( Eve

Jen said...

@ eve: really? how depressing about green and black's--that was chocolate i actually liked!

Jessica said...

What the eff! That is totally stupid. I'm glad I read this now because I would have been SO psyched to see this in the store (before finding out that it's NOT vegan)!

What really irks me is those "veggie" cheese slices that contain casein! I've never bought them, but it's like, WHY do these companies go to the trouble of creating something "dairy-free" only to put a MILK PROTEIN back in it? Sure, it's suitable for lactose intolerants, but why not just go all the way & include vegans?!

And that is LAME about Green & Black's! I love those! :(

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

eh that sucks.

My latest one is walkers crisps - they used to be vegan and now there's milk in their salt & vinegar - a.holes!!

Also, when i went veggie i ate almost a whole pack of poptarts before i found out they had gelatine in. gelatine, Come on!!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Yeah, that FYH thing is majorly disappointing. So is Tofutti. I think the most horrible thing for me was getting some fries and finding out they had beef fat in them. What the hell?!

Jen said...

@monique: what happened to tofutti? i hope it ain't the cream cheese or the sour cream. i can make it myself, but they seem to only be able to replicate the close flavor. gosh, my heart is just breaking!

Leslie Richman said...

I just get all sad about the plethora of soy and rice cheeses that are full of milky crap. Booooo hisss!

Anonymous said...

What! Green & Blacks are putting milk in the dark chocolate! Is that happening in the UK as well?? AAAAGH!

mirbrewer said...

There's these snacky-crunchy-yummies I like to pick up at the dollar store called "Onyums", which I took to be a play on words for the popular brand "Funyuns". Similar product; pototo starch formed into the shape of an onion ring and salt/flavoring added to approximate a palatable "cold" onion ring. "Onyums" are vegan. "Funyuns" are not...but I did not realize this until I bought a bag from the little convenience store downstairs in my office building the other day. Go figure! (I did end up eating them anyway...tsk, tsk. I was starving!) I, too, would like to hear more about tofutti...

Anonymous said...

These vegans are bat-shit crazy and an annoying pimple on the ass of humanity.