((stepping up to the pulpit)) And what is this holiday all about? A cruel reminder of what most of our forefathers did to the indigenous folk buried with a buffet of goodies followed by crazy department store sales? It really depends on who you are. I heard some people bad mouthin' this day, and I get it--the past sucks. I'm not just tossin' a "move on" attitude either. There is still pain and suffering every holiday. For people and animals. Let us all reclaim this as an opportunity to count our blessings and evaluate what is important to us.
That and food. The food! ((shaking fist in the air))
Look at that loaf. Sure it's kind of plain, but I assure you the taste is not. You'll never eat tofurky again.
Gobbler Club: gobbler slices, bacon bitz, red onion, fresh tomato, fresh parsley, and beannaise all on a cibatta roll.
This post is dedicated to Turkeys everywhere: here's some traditional Txgiving dishes veganized. Perhaps you're thinking of foregoing the bird this year. Maybe you have one of those weirdo vegans coming over for dinner. Be prepared and delighted!
*NOTE: this post is going in a day later than I wanted. If you've already gone ahead with your Thanksgiving plans, please consider these for the upcoming Xmas Holiday!
Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon
Gluten Free Chickpea Patties
- Mashed Potatoes with Olive oil instead of butter. Throw some minced garlic in there too.
- Sweet Potatoes with maple syrup and pecans. Use canola oil instead of butter to coat potatoes.
- Green Bean casserole- French's FF Onions are vegan. Puree mushrooms with a cup or two of veggie bullion, and thicken with some corn starch to make the cream of mushroom soup.
- This here veganized PORK RIND CASSEROLE. I will always be proud of this dish.
- Roasted asparagus w/olive oil, lemon, and a pinch of kosher salt
- Chickpea Gravy! Yes, gravy made with chickpeas. Us vegans will make gravy out of anything. Don't have chickpeas? Try subbing with another canned bean. Oh the possibilities!
- Vegan Stuffing
- Gluten Free Vegan Stuffing
- Vegan Butterflake rolls
- Novel Eats take on the dinner roll
- Gluten Free Vegan French Bread Rolls w/ pumpkin butter
- vegan pumpkin pie
- lil' vegan pecan pies. dude!
- Veganized Persimmon Pudding Recipe
- behold the SMOLVE PIE-this one is labor intensive, but everyone will be super impressed.
- Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust-fill it with your favorite gluten free filling
Enjoy this special day and remember that anyone can be vegan--it's not that hard. Turkeys everywhere are singin' praises for the principle of live and let live.