Sunday, October 9, 2011

MOFO Day #9 True Grub: Hoyt's No-Fuss Maque Choux

Hoyt don't wanna make no kind of fuss when it comes to cookin'. He keeps things really simple. Of course, until he falls in love with Jessica and his world is turned upside down. No more momma's boy--Hoyt is his own man now.


Since Jessica is a vampire, she doesn't eat and truth be told she doesn't really know how to cook. Hoyt's momma Maxine has done all the cookin' so Hoyt is a little challenged in the kitchen, God Bless Him.

Maque Choux-( Mah Shoe) is just tricked out corn. Even big ol' Yankee me felt perfectly at ease making this. It varies from parish to parish, but it's basically the same stuff. The first time I made it I used a can of cream corn and all my Louisiana friends laughed at me. One consoled me by saying the flavor was spot on, but it looked more like succotash. So I tried again.

I veganized this recipe by Emeril. I replaced the butter with Earth Balance and cut the amount in half. I added a few drops of liquid smoke and eliminated the jalapenos. I subbed the heavy cream with plain coconut creamer. It was mighty nice, just like ol' Hoyt.

This side goes well with any meal, especially Arlene's Etouffee. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks tasty! And good luck with your mission. MHC is a great organization (I used to live in Bloomington)!

-jennifer

celyn said...

Pretty photos, and I bet it's really tasty too.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That looks so super delicious!

Megan said...

Bless you!