Monday, January 16, 2012

OYMSTDay #16: Plantain Failure

Like seriously, how hard is it to mess up a plantain? For me, easy enough. I got these at the food bank super excited because I had such a great time cooking with them last time and they were so delicious. What did I do wrong? I think they weren't ripe enough. The ones I got last time were brown, and dismissed as overripe bananas by the other shoppers. This time they were green. I sprinkled them with a little cinnamon and a touch of sea salt and bleeeeeech. When I ate them they were still a little under cooked, and not at all like the plantains I had last time. I topped them with a balsamic plum sauce and toasted pumpkin seeds. If you can get past my awful photography, you can see this is a pretty dish. But hot damn was it awful. Just awful. I hate wasting food too. I ended up having oatmeal for breakfast instead.